The dress code is designed to minimize in-class distractions, encourage discipline and maximize physical ability.
Any student not in proper dress code might not be allowed to participate in class. For emergency use, the office does have dance shoes, leotards and hair accessories that may be borrowed. Summer classes do not follow a uniform dress code, however dance attire is required.
- Hair must be up and away from the face in a ponytail, braid or bun. Ballet classes must have a bun. Buns with box braids are allowed.
- Ballet participants are not permitted to wear skirts, shorts, pants, shirts or legwarmers. The studios are well heated.
- Boys dancers must be wearing proper dance attire: Black dance pants/shorts, black socks, white solid T-shirts, black ballet shoes and/or black tap or jazz shoes. Please see desk for ordering information.
- Nonbinary dancers should wear black dance pants or bike shorts, a black leotard. If desired a form fitting black tee shirt may be worn over the leotard.
- Girls uniform dress code is: tights, leather or canvas ballet shoes, black tap shoes and/or black jazz shoes. Appropriate solid color leotard is required.
Traditional ballet tight and shoe color is pink, however like many other professional ballet companies CDT is shifting to a tight and shoe color that matches each dancer's unique skin tone. Whenever possible please purchase the tight and shoe color to match your dancer's skin color. We understand that there may be a transition period as these supplies become more readably available. If you cannot locate the appropriate skin tone, please select the traditional pink.
Children's Division Classes
First Step Classes: Pink
Second Step Classes: Lavender
School Division Classes
All levels: Peacock
Preliminary Classes: Light Blue
Level 1: Black Cherry
Level 2: Grape
Level 3: Royal Blue
Level 4: Mulberry
Level 5: Black
Hip Hop, jazz, lyrical, stretch & strength, classes may wear capris, shorts, jazz pants and etc. Fitted tees and tanks are okay. Jeans are NOT allowed. Keep in mind instructors need to see dancers' bodies to give corrections.
Dance attire is highly recommended for the Theater program. The uniform dress code items are acceptable in all theater classes. Actors at minimum need clothes they can move and dance in. Jazz shoes are highly recommended.
For the Art Program, please wear comfortable clothes that will not be upsetting if they get paint on them. We often use non-washable acrylic paint.
Dancers that participate in our additional performance opportunities (The Nutcracker, Thrive, Spring Ballet) please wear dance attire according to the style of dance, however it can be whatever color is the dancers preference.
Where to buy dance attire & shoes?
We are proud to have an in-studio boutique that carries a selection of affordable and high quality shoes, tights, leotards and dance bags in accordance with our dress code requirements. We also have a rotating selection of hair accessories, mementos and fashionable items. We do not carry pointe shoes or ballroom shoes. To order online simply log in to our parent portal and use the online store feature.
If you cannot find what your looking for in our boutique, we recommend Dance Trendz in Kent, WA or Dancewear center in Renton WA.
Online purchase can be made at www.discountdance.com